- an impression or mark made by a foot or shoe, as in sand
- an area, or its shape, which something affects, occupies, etc., as the space taken up by a computer, the coverage pattern of a communications satellite, etc.
Footprints in the sand.
- An example of a footprint is the indentation left as a person walks by the water on the beach.
- An example of a footprint is the length and width of the space occupied by the couch.
- An outline or indentation left by a foot on a surface. Also called footmark . Also called footstep .
- The surface space occupied by a structure or device: the footprint of a building.
- a. The impact that a particular activity, person, or group has on the environment.b. See carbon footprint.c. The area affected or covered by a device or phenomenon: the footprint of a communications satellite.
- The impression of the foot in a soft substance such as sand or snow.
- Space required by a piece of equipment. Eg: This computer has a smaller footprint.
- (computing) Amount of hard drive space required for a program.
- (computing) The audit trail left by a crashed program.
- Profession or lifestyle, as in...
- He is following in his father's footprints.
- The surface space occupied by a structure.
- the footprint of a building.
- A company's geographic market presence.
- The store, which is slated to open next month, increases the company's footprint in the market to 14 locations.
- The ecological impact of a human activity, machine, etc.
- My carbon footprint is very high.
- Availability of a satellite from the ground.
footprint - Computer Definition
- The physical space something occupies, as in the footprint of a computer or a PBX.
- The coverage area of a satellite or other radio transmitter system.
The amount of geographic space covered by an object. A computer footprint is the desk or floor surface it occupies. A satellite's footprint is the earth area covered by its downlink. An application's footprint is the amount of memory (RAM) it requires. See form factor. See also memory footprint and digital footprint.
footprint - Investment & Finance Definition
The process that a company goes through to expand its market or locations. Expanding the company’s footprint is a favorite justification for a merger. By purchasing another company the acquirer increases its footprint.