The definition of discerning is showing good judgment or good taste.
An example of discerning is someone who always picks the best tasting wines on the wine list.
Exhibiting keen insight and good judgment; perceptive.
- Present participle of discern.
(comparative more discerning, superlative most discerning)
- It's nice to meet someone with such a discerning eye.
- Jackson had developed quite a discerning palate over the years.
- Confessing his inexperience, the king prayed for a discerning heart, and was rewarded with the gift of wisdom together with riches and military glory.
- However, the food is moderately priced for the discerning diner.
- This fine dining establishment offers a casually elegant ambiance and wine selection to please the most discerning sommelier.