An example of commission to require government workers to follow specific guidelines.
An example of commission is the requirement that a certain group of soldiers head to a specific location to perform specific tasks.
The commission of a crime.
It was James Bond's commission to defeat the bad guys.
David received his commission after graduating from West Point.
I have three commissions for the city.
The European Commission; the Electoral Commission; the Federal Communications Commission.
The company's sexual harassment commission made sure that every employee completed the on-line course.
A reseller's commission.
The real-estate broker charged a four percent commission for their knowledge on bidding for commercial properties; for their intellectual perspective on making a formal offer and the strategy to obtain a mutually satisfying deal with the seller in favour of the buyer .
The commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism.
James Bond was commissioned with recovering the secret documents.
He commissioned a replica of the Mona Lisa for his living room, but the painter gave up after six months.
The aircraft carrier was commissioned in 1944, during WWII.
- In active service. Used of a ship.
- In use or in usable condition.
- With a sales commission serving as full or partial recompense for the work done:.Sells boats on commission.
- Not in active service. Used of a ship.
- Not in use or working condition.
- Entrusted to commissioners.
- In use.
- In fit condition for use.
- Not in use.
- Not in fit condition for use.
Origin of commission
- Middle English commissioun from Latin commissiō commissiōn- from commissus past participle of committere to entrust commit
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Old French commission, from Latin commissio (“sending together; commission”), from prefix com- (“with”), + noun of action missio (“sending”), from perfect passive participle missus (“sent”), from the verb mittō, + noun of action suffix -io.