An example of bias is a democrat preferring "leftist" ideals.
An example of bias is cutting a skirt on the diagonal so that it flows freely when worn.
A bias fold.
- The bulge in the side of the ball (the bowl) that causes it to roll in a curve.
- This curve or tendency to curve.
- The force causing this.
An example of bias is a fold in a fabric dinner napkin.
Cut the cloth on the bias.
- Diagonally; obliquely; specif., cut or sewn diagonally across the weave.
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of bias
- French biais slant from Provençal perhaps ultimately from Greek epikarsios slanted sker-1 in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Middle French biasis, from Old Provençal biais (“way, angle, slant”).
- From Ancient Greek Βίας (Bias).