Origin of belatedbe- + lat(e) + -ed
The definition of belated is something done late.
An anniversary celebrated the day after the actual date is an example of belated.
Having been delayed; done or sent too late: a belated birthday card.
Origin of belatedbe- lated
(comparative more belated, superlative most belated)
- Later in relation to the proper time something should have happened.
- Happy belated birthday!
- simple past tense and past participle of belate
- I sent a belated apology, but had no reply.
- A very belated Happy New Year to you all.
- As a belated welcome, "Many greetings to our two new female members who now grace our band."
- You need to send belated congratulations to the list of awardees from last night's celebration.
- They were taking a belated honeymoon in St Lucia at the time of his death.