Origin of Charlestonafter Charleston, S.C.: see Charleston
a lively dance in 4/4 time, popular during the 1920s
Origin of Charlestonafter Charles II of England: see Charles seaport in S.C.
Origin of Charlestonafter the founder's father, Charles capital of W.Va., in the W part
- A city of southeast South Carolina northeast of Savannah on Charleston Harbor. Founded in 1670, it prospered as a port and became a major cultural center. The Civil War began here with the signing of the Ordinance of Secession (December 20, 1860) and the bombardment of Fort Sumter (April 12, 1861).x
- The capital and largest city of West Virginia, in the west-central part of the state. The city grew around the site of Fort Lee in the late 1780s.x
A fast dance in 4/4 time, popularized in the United States in the 1920s.
Origin of CharlestonAfter Charleston 1 , South Carolina
(third-person singular simple present charlestons, present participle charlestoning, simple past and past participle charlestoned)
- (intransitive) To dance the Charleston.
- A dance named for the city of Charleston, South Carolina.
- In 1733 he had established a press in Charleston, South Carolina, and soon after did the same in Lancaster, Pa., in New Haven, Conn., in New York, in Antigua, in Kingston, Jamaica, and in other places.
- In 1771 Thomas Jefferson described a " burning spring " in the Kanawha Valley, and when wells were drilled for salt brine near Charleston petroleum and natural gas were found here before there was any drilling for oil in Pennsylvania.
- The principal cities of the state are Wheeling, Huntington, Parkersburg, Charleston (the capital), Martinsburg, Fairmont and Grafton.
- The Supreme Court of Appeals, consisting of five judges, elected for terms of twelve years, holds three terms annually, one at Wheeling, one at Charleston and one at Charles Town.
- Huguenot churches were formed on Staten Island, New York, in 1665; in New York City in 1683; at Charleston, South Carolina, in 1686; at Boston, Massachusetts, in 1687; at New Rochelle, New York, in 1688; and at other places.