Variant of yeoman
noun pl. yeomen
- Historical, Brit.
- an attendant or manservant in a royal or noble household
- an assistant or subordinate, as to a sheriff
- a freeholder of a class below the gentry, who worked his own land
- a person who owns and cultivates a relatively small tract of land
- yeoman of the (royal) guard
- a member of the yeomanry (sense )
- U.S. Navy a petty officer assigned to clerical duty
Origin: ME yeman, prob. contr. < yengman, yung man, lit., young man
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.