- The definition of a farmer is a person who owns, works on or operates an agricultural enterprise, either commercially or to sustain himself or his family.
An example of a farmer is a person who owns several acres of land and a barn and who raises cattle and grows fruits and vegetables to eat and to sell at a local market.
A farmer at work.
farmer definition by Webster's New World
- a person who earns a living by farming; esp., one who manages or operates a farm
- a person who pays for a right, as, formerly, to collect and keep taxes
- a person who contracts to do something for a fixed price
Origin: Middle English fermour, farmer, bailiff ; from Anglo-French fermer ; from Old French fermier ; from ferme: see farm
farmer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One who works on or operates a farm.
- One who has paid for the right to collect and retain certain revenues or profits.
- A simple, unsophisticated person; a bumpkin.
, Fannie Merritt 1857-1915.
, James Leonard 1920-1999.