noun pl. wildcats or wildcat
- any of a large group of fierce, medium-sized, undomesticated cats, including the bobcat, Canada lynx, ocelot, serval, and caracal
- a house cat that has escaped from domestication
- any person regarded as like a wildcat in fierceness, aggressiveness, etc.
- ☆ an unsound or risky business scheme
- ☆ an oil well drilled in an area not previously known to have oil
- Naut. a drum on a windlass, constructed to engage the links of a chain cable
intransitive verb wildcatted, wildcatting
- to drill for oil in an area previously considered unproductive
- to engage in wildcat enterprises, etc.