or wild card
- Games A playing card whose value can vary as determined by its holder.
- Sports An athlete or team selected to compete in a tournament or playoff from among those who did not qualify by meeting the regular requirements.
- Computers A symbol that stands for one or more unspecified characters, used especially in searching text and in selecting multiple files or directories.
- Slang An unpredictable or unforeseeable factor: A surprise witness proved to be the wild card at the trial.
- (computing) A character that takes the place of any other character or string that is not known or specified.
- In searching, if a*m finds amalgam, atom and alum, then * is acting as a wildcard.
- (also written wild card) An uncontrolled or unpredictable element.
- (also written wild card) An element, often deliberately concealed, which is withheld for contingency.
- (sports) Alternative form of wild card.
A wild card in card games is usually written as two separate words. The computing term is written as one compound word.