- The definition of washed up is someone or something whose time has come and gone; someone who was popular or who had a good career but who now doesn't and has little to offer.
An example of a washed up singer is someone whose last album was ten years ago and who now just sits around and mopes.
- Washed up is something that appears on the shore of a sea or other body of water, brought there by the waves.
An example of washed up is when the pieces of a broken ship that was lost at sea start to appear on the sandy beach.
- cleaned up
- Informal tired; exhausted
- ☆ Slang finished; done for; having failed
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- No longer successful or needed; finished.
- Ready to give up in disgust.