- Indicates the end of a sentence.
- End of abbreviation.
- In some counting systems, the decimal separator.
- In some counting systems, the thousands separator.
- (computing) A delimiter.
- (computing, various operating systems) The current directory.
- (computing, various programming languages) Structure access operator.
- (IPA) Indicates a syllable break.
In English, the symbol . has various names, used in different contexts:
- To signify the end of a sentence: period or full stop
- My name is John. - My name is John period (US) or My name is John full stop (UK)
- For use as a decimal separator: point
- 3.45 - three point four five
- For use of a thousand separator: - (not pronounced)
- There are 1.000 species left. - There are one thousand species left
- In names in computing contexts (file-names, domain-names, and so on): dot
- email@example.com - john dot smith at example dot com