underworld definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Archaic the earth
- the mythical world of the dead; Hades
- the opposite side of the earth; antipodes
- the criminal members of society, or people living by vice or crime, regarded as a group or class
underworld definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The part of society that is engaged in and organized for the purpose of crime and vice.
- A region, realm, or dwelling place conceived to be below the surface of the earth.
- The opposite side of the earth; the antipodes.
- Greek & Roman Mythology The world of the dead, located below the world of the living; Hades.
- Archaic The world beneath the heavens; the earth.