- The definition of a triplet is a group of three of one kind, or one of three born at a single birth.
- An example of a triplet is a set of three lines in a poem that rhyme.
- An example of a triplet is a tercet, or three notes that should be played in the same time it takes to play two notes.
- An example of a triplet is one of the three identical children born on the same day to the same mother.
- a collection or group of three, usually of one kind; specif.,
- a group of three successive lines of poetry, usually rhyming
- a group of three musical notes to be performed in the time of two of the same value
- any of three offspring born at a single birth
Origin of triplettripl(e) + -et
- A group or set of three of one kind.
- One of three children born at one birth.
- A group of three lines of verse.
- Music A group of three notes having the time value of two notes of the same kind. Also called tercet.
- Physics A multiplet with three components.
- Genetics A unit of three successive nucleotides in a molecule of DNA or RNA that codes for a specific amino acid; a codon or anticodon.
Origin of triplettripl(e) + (doubl)et.