The definition of a trio is a group of three people or things.noun
- An example of a trio is two boys and a girl.
- An example of a trio is a band with a guitarist, drummer and bassist.
noun pl. trios
- any group of three persons or things
- a composition for three voices or three instruments
- a group of three performers of such a composition, or any group of three musicians playing together
- the middle section of a minuet, scherzo, etc., orig. written in three voices, or parts
Origin: Fr < It < tri-, tri-, as in duo, duo
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. tri·os
- Music a. A composition for three voices or three instruments.b. A group of three singers or three instrumentalists.c. The middle, contrasting section of a minuet, scherzo, march, or various other forms.
- A group of three.
Origin: French, composition for three voices, from Italian : tri-, three (from Latin; see trei- in Indo-European roots) + (du)o, duet; see duo.