- An example of a trio is two boys and a girl.
- An example of a trio is a band with a guitarist, drummer and bassist.
The definition of a trio is a group of three people or things.
- any group of three persons or things
- a composition for three voices or three instruments
- a group of three performers of such a composition, or any group of three musicians playing together
- the middle section of a minuet, scherzo, etc., orig. written in three voices, or parts
Origin of trioFrench from Italian from tri-, tri-, as in duo, duo
- Music a. A composition for three voices or three instruments.b. A group of three singers or three instrumentalists.c. The middle, contrasting section of a minuet, scherzo, march, or various other forms.
- A group of three.
Origin of trioFrench composition for three voices from Italian tri- three ( from Latin; see trei- in Indo-European roots.) (du)o duet ; see duo .