- The definition of adagio refers to something that is not fast.
A lethargic tempo is an example of an adagio tempo.
- Adagio means to go at an easy pace specifically in performing music.
Playing a funeral dirge is an example of playing adagio.
- The definition of adagio is a relaxed speed of a musical work that is performed.
The pas de deux movement in a ballet is an example of an adagio.
adagio definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Italian ad agio, literally , at ease
- an adagio movement or passage
- a slow ballet dance, esp. the main section of a pas de deux, requiring skillful partnering and balancing
adagio definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adverb & adj. Music
- Music A slow passage, movement, or work, especially one using adagio as the direction.
- A section of a pas de deux in which the ballerina and her partner perform steps requiring lyricism and great skill in lifting, balancing, and turning.
Origin: Italian : ad-, at (from Latin; see ad-) + agio, ease (from Old Provençal aize; akin to Old French aise; see ease).
adagio - Cultural Definition
A very slow musical tempo.