- a transmuting or being transmuted; change of one thing into another
- Rare a fluctuation
- Alchemy the conversion of base metals into gold and silver
- Chem. the conversion of atoms of a given element into atoms of a different isotope or of a different element, as in radioactive disintegration or by nuclear bombardment
Origin of transmutationMiddle English transmutacioun ; from Late Latin transmutatio ; from past participle of Classical Latin transmutare: see transmute
- a. The act or an instance of transmuting; transformation.b. The state of being transmuted.
- Physics Transformation of one element into another by one or a series of nuclear reactions.
- The supposed conversion of base metals into gold or silver in alchemy.
- trans′mu·ta′tion·al, trans·mut′a·tive
From Middle French transmutation, or its source, Late Latin transmutationem, from Latin transmutare (“to change").