Transformation is the process of changing.
An example of a transformation is a caterpillar turning into a butterfly.
- a transforming or being transformed
- Now Rare a woman's wig
- the process of changing, by the application of certain syntactic rules, an abstract underlying structure into a surface structure
- any of the rules that derive surface structures from abstract underlying structuresalso transformational rule
- Math. the process of setting up correspondences between the elements of two sets or spaces so that every element of the first set corresponds to a unique element of the second set
Origin of transformationEcclesiastical Late Latin transformatio
- a. The act or an instance of transforming: her difficult transformation of the yard into a garden.b. The state of being transformed: impressed by the transformation of the yard.
- A marked change, as in appearance or character, usually for the better: recent transformations in the format of the publication.
- Mathematics a. Replacement of the variables in an algebraic expression by their values in terms of another set of variables.b. A mapping of one space onto another or onto itself.
- Linguistics An operation or rule that changes one linguistic structure (especially a syntactic structure) into another, as by the merger, relocation, or deletion of one of its constituents.
- Genetics a. The change undergone by an animal cell upon infection by a cancer-causing virus.b. The introduction of DNA from one cell into another by means of a bacteriophage or one of a variety of chemical or physical methods.
- trans′for·ma′tion·al trans·form′a·tive