- the act of tossing or flipping a coin to decide something according to which side lands uppermost
- a situation in which either of two options or outcomes is equally compelling, possible, likely, etc.
Also written toss up
- (idiomatic) A decision in which neither choice is clearly favorable or unfavorable, or for which the outcome does not matter.
- It's really a toss-up between the red skirt with blue stripes and the blue skirt with red stripes. They both look good and fit well.
- Either of two outcomes that are equally likely.
- The toss of a coin used to decide some issue.