- a person or thing that terminates
- the line dividing the illuminated and dark parts of the disk of the moon or a planet
Origin of terminatorEcclesiastical Late Latin
- One that terminates: a terminator of unpopular policies.
- The dividing line between the bright and shaded regions of the disk of a moon or planet that is illuminated by the sun.
- A sequence of nucleotides that signals the end of transcription or translation and the completion of the synthesis of a nucleic acid or protein molecule.
- One who finishes.
- (biochemistry) A DNA sequence which causes RNA transcription to cease and an mRNA transcript to break off.
- (electronics) An electrical device that absorbs reflection at the end of a transmission line.
- (astronomy) The line between the day side and the night side of a planet.
- (science fiction) An artificial intelligence machine, created to destroy humans (after the 1984 film The Terminator).
From Latin terminator from the verb terminare.
terminator - Computer Definition
(1) A character that ends a string of alphanumeric characters.
(2) A hardware component that is connected to the last peripheral device in a series or the last node in a network.