- Symbolize is to represent or be a sign of something.
When the American flag represents freedom and liberty, this is an example of when the flagsymbolizes liberty.
symbolize definition by Webster's New World
- to be a symbol of; typify; stand for
- to represent by a symbol or symbols
Origin: French symboliser ; from Midieval Latin symbolizare
symbolize definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb sym·bol·ized, sym·bol·iz·ing, sym·bol·iz·es verb, transitive
- To serve as a symbol of: “Munich, the 1938 Hitler-Chamberlain meeting that now symbolizes the idea of appeasement” (Jonathan Alter).
- To represent or identify by a symbol.
- symˌbol·i·zaˈtion noun
- symˈbol·izˌer noun