- Symbolize is to represent or be a sign of something.
When the American flag represents freedom and liberty, this is an example of when the flagsymbolizes liberty.
transitive verbsymbolized, symbolizing
- to be a symbol of; typify; stand for
- to represent by a symbol or symbols
Origin of symbolizeFrench symboliser ; from Medieval Latin symbolizare
verbsym·bol·ized, sym·bol·iz·ing, sym·bol·iz·es
- To serve as a symbol of: “Munich, the 1938 Hitler-Chamberlain meeting that now symbolizes the idea of appeasement” (Jonathan Alter).
- To represent or identify by a symbol.
(third-person singular simple present symbolizes, present participle symbolizing, simple past and past participle symbolized)
From Middle French symboliser