- a person who uses symbols, as in art or literature
- any of a group of French and Belgian writers and artists of the late 19th cent. who rejected realism and tried to express ideas, emotions, and attitudes by the use of symbolic words, figures, objects, etc.
- a person who studies or is expert in interpreting symbols or symbolism
- One who uses symbols or symbolism.
- a. One who interprets or represents conditions or truths by the use of symbols or symbolism.b. often Symbolist Any of a group of chiefly French writers and artists of the late 1800s who rejected realism and used symbols to evoke ideas and emotions.
- Of or relating to symbolism.
- often Symbolist Of or relating to the Symbolists.
- (art, literature) Of or pertaining to the Symbolist movement in late 19th-century and early 20th-century European arts and literature
- One who employs symbols.
From French symboliste, coined by poet Paul Verlaine in 1885.