- Symbolism is the practice of giving special meaning to objects, things, relationships or events.
An example of symbolism is Christians making the cross a representation of Jesus.
- the representation of things by use of symbols, esp. in art or literature
- a system of symbols
- symbolic meaning
- the theories or practices of a group of symbolists, as in art or literature
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The practice of representing things by means of symbols or of attributing symbolic meanings or significance to objects, events, or relationships.
- A system of symbols or representations.
- A symbolic meaning or representation.
- Revelation or suggestion of intangible conditions or truths by artistic invention.
- Symbolism The movement, theory, or practice of the late 19th-century Symbolists.
symbolism - Medical Definition
- A mental state in which everything that happens is regarded by the individual as symbolic of his or her own thoughts.
- The disguised representation in conscious thought of unconscious or repressed contents or events.