- One, such as a hook, that suspends something else.
- a. An often elastic strap worn over the shoulder, usually in pairs, to hold up a pair of pants.b. suspenders A pair of such straps.
- Chiefly British A garter.
- Something or someone who suspends.
- (US) An item of apparel consisting of a strap worn over the shoulder and used hold up trousers. Called braces in other parts of the world.
- (UK) An item of apparel used to hold up a sock or (now especially) a stocking, such as a garter, or each of the fastening-straps attached to a corset or suspender belt.
From suspend + -er.