crowfoot definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. crowfoots or crowfeet
- any of a number of plants of the buttercup family, characterized by simple or variously lobed leaves somewhat resembling a crow's foot, esp. any of a genus (Ranunculus) of chiefly yellow-flowered plants
- caltrop (sense )
- Naut. an arrangement of cords run through a block pulley to suspend an awning, etc.
crowfoot definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- pl. crow·foots a. Any of numerous plants of the genus Ranunculus that have palmately cleft or divided leaves, such as the buttercups.b. Any of several other plants having leaves or other parts somewhat resembling a bird's foot.
- pl. crow·feet An iron ball with four spikes arranged so that one always points upwards, used to delay the advance of mounted troops and infantry; a caltrop.
- pl. crow·feet Nautical A set of small lines passed through holes of a batten or fitting to help support the backbone of an awning.