- The definition of a successor is a person or thing that comes after another.
The son of a king who will become king next is an example of the king's successor.
a person or thing that succeeds, or follows, another; esp., one who succeeds to an office, title, etc.
Origin of successorMiddle English ; from Old French successour ; from Classical Latin successor ; from successus, past participle of succedere: see succeed
One that succeeds another.
- A person or thing that immediately follows another in holding an office or title.
- George W. Bush was successor to Bill Clinton as President of the US.
- The next heir in order or succession.
- A person who inherits a title or office.
- (arithmetic, set theory) The integer, ordinal number or cardinal number immediately following another.
successor - Legal Definition
A person who takes over the rank, office, duties, or privileges of another; a corporation that through merger, buy-out, or other means acquires the duties, stock, rights, and debts of another corporation, known as the predecessor.