A succession of white cars.
- Succession is a series of related things going one after the other or to a title or job passing on to another person.
- An example of succession is the series of girlfriends a man may have one after the other.
- An example of succession is when a king steps down and his son becomes the new king.
- the act of succeeding or coming after another in order or sequence or to an office, estate, throne, etc.
- the right to succeed to an office, estate, etc.
- a number of persons or things coming one after another in time or space; series; sequence: a succession of delays
- a series of heirs or rightful successors of any kind
- the order or line of such a series
- Ecol. the slow, regular sequence of changes in the regional development of communities of plants and associated animals, culminating in a climax characteristic of a specific geographical environment
Origin of successionOld French ; from Classical Latin successio ; from succedere: see succeed
one after another in a regular series or sequence; successively
- The act or process of following in order or sequence.
- A group of people or things arranged or following in order; a sequence: “A succession of one-man stalls offered soft drinks” (Alec Waugh). See Synonyms at series.
- a. The sequence in which one person after another succeeds to a title, throne, or position.b. The right of a person or a line of persons to so succeed.
- a. The act or process of succeeding to the rights or duties of another.b. The act or process of becoming entitled as a legal beneficiary to the property of a deceased person.
- Ecology The gradual replacement of one type of ecological community by another in the same area, involving a series of orderly changes, especially in the dominant vegetation, and often resulting in the establishment of a climax community.
Origin of successionMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin successiō, successiōn-, from successus, past participle of succēdere, to succeed; see succeed.
From Latin successio, successionem.
succession - Legal Definition
The taking over of a previous official’s office, rank, or duties by a new person; the process by which a decedent’s property or rights passes to the inheritors thereof, under the laws of descent and distribution. See also descent.intestate succession
State laws governing inheritance of property belonging to individual who dies without a will.