- the act of succeeding or coming after another in order or sequence or to an office, estate, throne, etc.
- the right to succeed to an office, estate, etc.
- a number of persons or things coming one after another in time or space; series; sequence: a succession of delays
- a series of heirs or rightful successors of any kind
- the order or line of such a series
- Ecol. the slow, regular sequence of changes in the regional development of communities of plants and associated animals, culminating in a climax characteristic of a specific geographical environment
Origin of successionOld French from Classical Latin successio from succedere: see succeed