- The definition of a sortie is a mission by a military plane, or a raid made while being surrounded by an enemy.
- An example of a sortie is a plane carrying out orders to bomb a site.
- An example of a sortie is a group of fighters rising up against those who are coming for them.
- a sudden rushing forth; sally; specif., a quick raid on besiegers by those besieged
- the forces making such a raid
- one mission by a single military plane
Origin: Fr from sortir, to issue, go out from Vulgar Latin an unverified form sortire, probably from Classical Latin sortitus, chosen, selected by lot, past participle of sortiri from sors: see sort
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An armed attack, especially one made from a place surrounded by enemy forces.
- A flight of a combat aircraft on a mission.
Origin: French, from feminine past participle of sortir, to go out, from Old French.