Informal haughty; snobbish
Origin of snootysnoot + -y: from the image of haughty people with their noses in the air
adjectivesnoot·i·er, snoot·i·est Informal
- Snobbishly aloof; haughty.
- High-class; exclusive.
(comparative snootier, superlative snootiest)
- pompous; snobbish; inclined to turn up one's nose
- Sir Sydney was an arrogant, snooty, bigoted prig, so it was with some satisfaction that I wrote out his parking ticket.
- Sissi was a very snooty and spoiled girl with clear social problems.
- elite; exclusive
- Her parties were snooty affairs; custom designed cocktail dresses that cost more than a decent luxury car were de rigueur.