- a kind of trap for small animals, usually consisting of a noose which jerks tight upon the release of a spring trigger
- anything dangerous, risky, etc. that tempts or attracts; thing by which a person is entangled; trap
- any of a set of spiraled wires or of gut strung across the bottom of a snare drum for added vibration
- a snare drum
- Surgery a wire noose for removing tumors, polyps, etc.
ME < OE sneare < ON snara, akin to OHG snarha < IE *(s)nerk- < base *(s)ner-, to twist: see narcotic
transitive verb snared, snaring
- to catch in a trap or snare
- to tempt or attract into a situation, esp. one that is dangerous, risky, etc.
< Du snaar, akin to Ger schnur