The definition of a smorgasbord is Swedish for a large spread of food served in a buffet, or a collection of varied items.
An example of a smorgasbord is a dinner buffet of fish, meat, salads and cheeses.
⌂ or smör′gås·bord·
- a wide variety of appetizers along with such foods as cheeses, fishes, meats, salads, etc., served buffet style
- a meal selected from these
- a restaurant serving smorgasbord
- any widely varied assortment or collection from which to choose
Origin of smorgasbordSwedish smörgåsbord ; from smörgås, buttered bread ; from smör, butter (akin to smear) + dialect, dialectal gås, a clump (of butter), literally , goose (akin to goose) + bord, table (akin to board)
- A buffet meal featuring a varied number of dishes.
- A varied collection: “a smorgasbord of fashionable paranormal beliefs” (Martin Gardner).
Origin of smorgasbordSwedish sm&odie;rgåsbord : sm&odie;rgås, open-faced sandwich (sm&odie;r, butter from Old Norse smj&odie;r; akin to Old English smerian, to smear + Swedish dialectal gås, lump of butter, from Old Norse gas, goose; see gosling) + bord, table (from Old Norse bordh).