A smorgasbord of delicious dishes was spread out on a long table at the party.
The definition of a smorgasbord is Swedish for a large spread of food served in a buffet, or a collection of varied items.
An example of a smorgasbord is a dinner buffet of fish, meat, salads and cheeses.
- a wide variety of appetizers along with such foods as cheeses, fishes, meats, salads, etc., served buffet style
- a meal selected from these
- a restaurant serving smorgasbord
- any widely varied assortment or collection from which to choose
Origin of smorgasbordSwedish smörgåsbord from smörgås, buttered bread from smör, butter (akin to smear) + dialect, dialectal gås, a clump (of butter), literally , goose (akin to goose) + bord, table (akin to board)
- A buffet meal featuring a varied number of dishes.
- A varied collection: “a smorgasbord of fashionable paranormal beliefs” ( Martin Gardner )
Origin of smorgasbordSwedish smörgåsbord smörgås open-faced sandwich ( smör butter ) ( from Old Norse smjör ) ( akin to Old English smerian to smear ) (Swedish dialectal gås lump of butter ) ( from Old Norse gās goose ; see gosling . ) bord table ( from Old Norse bordh )