The Olympian gods smote the Titans in Greek mythology.
To smote is to have given a heavy hit or strike in the past.
An example of to smote is to have hit someone with a hard object yesterday.
- At last Zeus smote him with his thunderbolt, and destroyed the town (Apollodorus i.
- Pascha', of the Hebrew name of the Passover festival n4 pesach, from r "he passed over," in memory of the great deliverance, when the destroying angel "passed over the houses, of the children of Israel in Egypt when he smote the Egyptians" (Exod.
- A plague smote the city, and when it was removed to Ekron, pestilence followed in its wake.
- One smote the threshold with an axe, another with a pestle, the third swept it with a broom - three symbols of culture (for trees were hewn down with the axe, grain pounded with the pestle, and the fruits of the field swept up with the broom) which Silvanus could not endure.
- The nobleman smote his breast.