The Olympian gods smote the Titans in Greek mythology.
To smote is to have given a heavy hit or strike in the past.
An example of to smote is to have hit someone with a hard object yesterday.
- At last Zeus smote him with his thunderbolt, and destroyed the town (Apollodorus i.
- The nobleman smote his breast.
- A plague smote the city, and when it was removed to Ekron, pestilence followed in its wake.
- Smote Michael Cerularius and the whole of the Eastern Church with an excommunication.
- One smote the threshold with an axe, another with a pestle, the third swept it with a broom - three symbols of culture (for trees were hewn down with the axe, grain pounded with the pestle, and the fruits of the field swept up with the broom) which Silvanus could not endure.