- [S-] the doctrines of the ancient Greek Skeptics
- the critical philosophical position that neither truth nor sure and certain knowledge are humanly attainable, whether through reason, the senses, or any other means
- skeptical or doubting attitude or state of mind
- doubt about fundamental religious doctrines
Scientific discoveries such as the earth being round instead of flat were met with skepticism during the Middle Ages.
When you look at a fact with great doubt as to whether it is true or not, this is an example of skepticism.
- A doubting or questioning attitude or state of mind; dubiety. See Synonyms at uncertainty.
- Philosophy a. The ancient school of Pyrrho of Elis that stressed the uncertainty of our beliefs in order to oppose dogmatism.b. The doctrine that absolute knowledge is impossible, either in a particular domain or in general.c. A methodology based on an assumption of doubt with the aim of acquiring approximate or relative certainty.
- Doubt or disbelief of religious tenets.
- (US) The practice or philosophy of being a skeptic.
- (US) A studied attitude of questioning and doubt
- (US) The doctrine that absolute knowledge is not possible
- (US) A methodology that starts from a neutral standpoint and aims to acquire certainty though scientific or logical observation.
- (US) Doubt or disbelief of religious doctrines
- There is a Greek chorus of skepticism regarding the wine rating system, the criteria of the restaurant awards passed out by the magazine every year, its objectivity, its arrogance, and ultimately its bully pulpit influence.
- In a world where digital information reigns supreme, the lack of a web presence may be viewed with some skepticism, especially for those wanting to research exercise equipment before a major purchase.
- And, since New Yorkers are famous for their skepticism, it should come as no surprise that available men and women who post photographic evidence of their attractiveness will get more attention.
- Whatever the reason and skepticism aside, Matt has made a great impact on the Internet generation, and continues to do so with his speaking engagements and enduring online charm.
- His years in the pawn business have also given him a healthy dose of skepticism and street smarts, which he uses to ferret out the less than honest customers.