sizing definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act or process of applying such size
sizing definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A glaze or filler; size.
- Treatment of a fabric or other surface with size.
sizing - Investment & Finance Definition
The determination of the number of shares or bonds to be included in a new issue.
Variant of size
- that quality of a thing which determines how much space it occupies; dimensions or magnitude of a thing
- any of a series of graded classifications of measure into which merchandise is divided: jumbo-size peanuts, size nine shoes
- extent, magnitude, amount, etc.: an undertaking of great size
- relatively large amount, dimensions, etc.
- character of a person with regard to ability to meet requirements
- Informal actual condition; true state of affairs: that's the size of it
- Obsolete standard ration or allowance, as of food
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French sise, aphetic for assise: see assize
- sizer noun