- a specially woven edge that prevents cloth from raveling
- any specially defined edge of fabric or paper, esp. such an edge that is to be trimmed off or covered
- Rare the side plate of a lock through which the bolt passes
Origin: from self plush edge, influenced, influence by Middle Dutch selfegge
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The edge of a fabric that is woven so that it will not fray or ravel.b. An ornamental fringe at either end of an Oriental rug.
- The edge plate of a lock that has a slot for a bolt.
Origin: Middle English (influenced by Middle Low German selfegge) : self, self; see self + egge, edge; see edge.