- Schizophrenia is a mental disorder where you perceive things incorrectly, often imagining things that are not real.
An example of schizophrenia is a mental disorder where a person begins to hear voices in his head and believe they are real.
schizophrenia definition by Webster's New World
- a major mental disorder of unknown cause typically characterized by a separation between the thought processes and the emotions, a distortion of reality accompanied by delusions and hallucinations, a fragmentation of the personality, motor disturbances, bizarre behavior, etc., often with no loss of basic intellectual functions: this term has largely replaced dementia praecox, since it does not always result in deterioration (dementia) or always develop in adolescence or before maturity (praecox)
- multiple personality disorder
- Informal a situation, state of mind, etc. in which widely conflicting opinions, ideas, or practices coexist, often resulting in indecision, vacillation, wavering, etc.
Origin: Modern Latin ; from schizo- plush Classical Greek phrēn, the mind plush -ia
schizophrenia definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of a group of psychotic disorders usually characterized by withdrawal from reality, illogical patterns of thinking, delusions, and hallucinations, and accompanied in varying degrees by other emotional, behavioral, or intellectual disturbances. Schizophrenia is associated with dopamine imbalances in the brain and may have an underlying genetic cause.
- A situation or condition that results from the coexistence of disparate or antagonistic qualities, identities, or activities: the national schizophrenia that results from carrying out an unpopular war.
schizophrenia - Cultural Definition
A form of psychosis marked by a strong tendency to dissociate oneself from reality. Schizophrenia is often characterized by hallucinations, delusions, and inappropriate reactions to situations. The word schizophrenia is often used informally as well as scientifically to indicate a split personality.
schizophrenia - Medical Definition
schizophrenia - Science Definition