- a seat for a rider on a horse, bicycle, etc., usually padded and of leather, and generally straddled in riding
- a padded part of a harness worn over a horse's back to hold the shafts
- the part of an animal's back where a saddle is placed
- anything suggesting a saddle, as in form, placement, etc.
- a ridge between two peaks or summits
- a cut of lamb, venison, etc., including part of the backbone and the two loins
- the rear part of the back of a fowl
ME sadel < OE sadol, akin to Ger sattel < Gmc *sathula, via ? OSlav *sedulo- < IE base *sed-, to sit
transitive verb saddled, saddling
- to put a saddle upon
- to load or encumber, as with a burden
- to impose as a burden, obligation, etc.
to put a saddle on a horse and mount it: often with up