- a North American thrush (Turdus migratorius) with a dull-red breast and belly
- a small European thrush (Erithacus rubecula) with an orangish-red breast and face
Origin of robinfrom Middle English Robin from OFr, diminutive of Robert
Origin of Robinmasculine name altered from Robert; feminine name may be from robin
- A North American songbird (Turdus migratorius) having a rust-red breast and gray and black upper plumage. Also called robin redbreast .
- A small songbird (Erithacus rubecula) of Eurasia and Africa having olive-brown upper plumage and a conspicuous orange breast and face. Also called robin redbreast . Also called ruddock .
- Any of various birds resembling a robin.
Origin of robinShort for Robin Redbreast from Middle English Robin personal name from Old French diminutive of Robert
The American robin is quite different from the European one: English settlers in America so named a red-breasted bird much larger than the European robin.
Middle English, from Old French, diminutive of Robert