Retrenchment is defined as cutting back or a reduction.
An example of retrenchment is a company laying off employees to get back within budget.
- a retrenching; esp., a reduction of expenses
- a rampart or breastwork within the main fortification
Origin of retrenchmentMiddle French
- A cutting down or back; reduction.
- A curtailment of expenses.
The act of consolidating one's strength, as for further efforts.
- A reduction or curtailment; often referring to a business or government agency cutting back operations or laying off workers.
- (military, dated) A defensive work constructed within a fortification to make it more defensible (by allowing defenders to retreat into and fight from it even after the enemy has taken the outer work).