- retaining or tending to retain
- having the power of or capacity for retaining
- tenacious: a retentive memory
- having a good memory
Origin of retentiveMiddle English retentif from Middle French from Late Latin retentivus
- Having the quality, power, or capacity of retaining.
- Having the ability or capacity to retain knowledge or information with ease: a retentive memory.
(comparative more retentive, superlative most retentive)
- Having power to retain; as, a retentive memory.
- (obsolete) That which retains or confines; a restraint.