The young monk apprentices are at peace with their renunciation of material possessions in order to attain spiritual enlightenment.
When you publicly make clear you are rejecting something and write a formal letter of rejection, this is an example of renunciation.
- the act or an instance of renouncing; a giving up formally or voluntarily, often at a sacrifice, of a right, claim, title, etc.
- a written statement or declaration of this
Origin of renunciationMiddle English from Classical Latin renuntiatio from renuntiatus, past participle of renuntiare: see renounce
- The act or an instance of renouncing: the renunciation of all earthly pleasures.
- A declaration in which something is renounced.
Origin of renunciationMiddle English from Anglo-Norman renunciacion from Latin renūntiātiō renūntiātiōn- from renūntiātus past participle of renūntiāre to renounce ; see renounce .
- re·nun′ci·a′tive re·nun′ci·a·to′ry
renunciation - Legal Definition