- The definition of an assertion is an allegation or proclamation of something, often as the result of opinion as opposed to fact.
- An example of someone making an assertion is a person who stands up boldly in a meeting with a point in opposition to the presenter, despite having valid evidence to support his statement.
- An example of an assertion was that of ancient scientists that stated the world was flat.
assertion definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of asserting
- something asserted; positive statement; declaration
assertion definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of asserting.
- Something declared or stated positively, often with no support or attempt at proof.
- as·serˈtion·al adjective