- The definition of ecclesiastical is something derived from or related to the Christian church.
A written work associated with the Christian church is an example of an ecclesiastical work.
- of the church, the organization of the church, or the clergy
- used chiefly in early writings relating to Christianity: ecclesiastical Latin (or Greek)
Origin: ME: see ecclesiastic and amp; -al
- ecclesiastically adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of or relating to a church, especially as an organized institution.
- Appropriate to a church or to use in a church: ecclesiastical architecture; ecclesiastical robes.
- ec·cleˌsi·asˈti·cal·ly adverb