- Present participle of rend.
- The act by which something is rent, or torn.
- rendings of garments
Variant of rend
transitive verbrent, rending
- to tear, pull, or rip with violence: with from, off, away, etc.
- to tear, pull apart, rip up, or split with violence [a tree rent by lightning]: often used figuratively [a roar rends the air]
- to tear (one's clothing) to show grief, anguish, etc.
Origin of rendMiddle English renden ; from Old English rendan, akin to Old Frisian renda ; from Indo-European base an unverified form rendh-, to tear apart from source rind, Sanskrit randhram, fissure, split
to tear; burst; split apart