Variant of reinforce
- to strengthen (a military, naval, or air force) with additional troops, ships, planes, etc.
- to increase the number or amount of
- to strengthen or make stronger, as by patching, propping, adding new material, etc.
- to make stronger or more compelling: to reinforce one's arguments
- Psychol. to increase the probability of (a response to a stimulus) by giving a reward or ending a painful stimulus
Origin: re- + inforce, var. of enforce
- reinforcer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.