- the division of a country into small administrative regions
- regional quality or character
- devotion to one's own geographical region
- a word, custom, etc. peculiar to a specific region
- Literature the usually realistic depiction in stories, plays, etc. of a particular region of a country, esp. a rural region, and of the influence of its history, customs, etc. on the lives of the characters
See regionalism in American Heritage Dictionary 4
a. Political division of an area into partially autonomous regions.
b. Advocacy of such a political system.
- Loyalty to the interests of a particular region.
- A feature, such as an expression, a pronunciation, or a custom, that is characteristic of a geographic area.
- The use of regional characteristics, as of locale, custom, or speech, in literature or art.
- A policy whereby the interests of a nation in world affairs are defined in terms of particular countries or regions.
- reˈgion·al·ist adjective & n.
- reˌgion·al·isˈtic adjective
Learn more about regionalism