- The definition of a purse is a small bag or pouch to carry money, or a sum of prize money.
- An example of a purse is a wristlet.
- An example of a purse is the amount of money that can be won at a horse race.
- Purse is defined as to gather into small folds, or to pucker the lips tightly together.
- An example of purse is to gather a piece of fabric.
- An example of purse is to pucker your lips around a drinking straw.
purse definition by Webster's New World
- a small bag or pouch for carrying money
- financial resources; money
- a sum of money collected as a present or given as a prize
- ☆ a woman's handbag
- anything like a purse in shape, use, etc.
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English purs ; from Midieval Latin bursa, bag, purse ; from Late Latin hide ; from Classical Greek byrsa
purse definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A woman's bag for carrying keys, a wallet, and other personal items; a handbag.
- A small bag or pouch for carrying money.
- Something that resembles a bag or pouch.
- Available wealth or resources; money.
- A sum of money collected as a present or offered as a prize.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin bursa; see bursa.
- purseˈlikeˌ adjective