- of, having, giving, or receiving preference
- offering or allowing a preference: a preferential ballot
- ☆ designating a union shop which gives preference, as by contract, to union members in hiring, layoffs, etc.
- receiving preferences, as in tariffs
Origin: ML praeferentia (see preference) + -al
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or giving advantage or preference: preferential treatment.
- Manifesting or originating from partiality or preference: preferential tariff rates.
- prefˌer·enˈtial·ism noun
- prefˌer·enˈtial·ist noun
- prefˌer·enˈtial·ly adverb