- To precede is defined as to go before or introduce.
- An example of to precede is to be the first in line.
- An example of to precede is to publicly welcome a speaker at an event.
precede definition by Webster's New World
- to be, come, or go before in time, place, order, rank, or importance
- to introduce with prefatory remarks, etc.
Origin: Middle English preceden ; from Middle French précéder ; from Classical Latin praecedere: see pre- and amp; cede
precede definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb pre·ced·ed, pre·ced·ing, pre·cedes verb, transitive
- To come, exist, or occur before in time.
- To come before in order or rank; surpass or outrank.
- To be in a position in front of; go in advance of.
- To preface; introduce: preceded her lecture with a funny anecdote.
Origin: Middle English preceden, from Old French preceder, from Latin praecēdere : prae-, pre- + cēdere, to go; see ked- in Indo-European roots.